I love this recipe for Bread and Butter Pudding but with a twist, by using up leftover Hot Cross Buns it adds another flavour to the pudding with the spice and fruit. Plus no waste!
This can be made into a large dish for a family meal or it can be done in individual portions (I like to serve mine in teacups, one hot cross bun for each teacup)
6 hot cross buns cut in half and buttered
300ml double cream
6 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 160C or Gas 2
2. Layer the buns in the bottom of your dish (or one in the bottom of each teacup)
3. Bring the milk, cream, 1/2 sugar and vanilla to the boil, then remove from the heat.
4. Whisk the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl until it thickens slightly.
5. Pour milk mixture over the eggs and sugar and whisk.
6. Pour half the milk mixture over hot cross buns, then add the tops of the buns, cross side up ( makes it look pretty)
7. Pour over the rest of the liquid and leave to soak for approx. 20 min.
8. Bake in the oven for 20-30 min, until golden and bubbling.