This Chocolate cake is one that my mum use to make for me and my siblings every Easter, it became a tradition where we would fight over who was going to decorate it using chocolate flakes and mini eggs (more decorations got eaten than put on the cake). So with it being Easter I thought I would share this recipe so you can do the same and have a baking and decoration session.
200g self raising flour
225g castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt
25g cocoa powder
5 tbsp evaporated milk
5 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1.Preheat oven to 180C or Gas 4, grease 2 8 inch tins (not loose bottomed)
2. Mix flour, sugar, salt and cocoa together.
3. Rub margarine into dry mix, the beat then eggs with milk.
4. Add egg mixture, vanilla extract and liquids into the dry mix, and beat well.
5. Pour mixture evenly between the 2 tins and bake for 30-35 min.
Chocolate icing (this stuff is amazing!)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
250g sieved icing sugar
3 tbsp hot milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Melt the margarine, blending in the cocoa (do this slowly as it make become lumpy)
2. Stir in icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract.
3. Beat until smooth and thick.
You can use this icing to sandwich the 2 cakes together.
If you slowly pour the icing over the top of the cake and use a palette knife to spread it evenly around the sides. When I was little we used crushed up flake to create a nest and mini eggs to finish it off!