Sunday, 29 April 2012

A Cake Chain

Have you ever heard of a Herman or Friendship cake? Well until recently I hadn't. I was handed one at work the other day in a Chinese tub, with a list of instructions telling me to stir, love and talk to my cake. Sounds mad doesn't it, but it's actually fun, instead of a chain letter I suppose it's a chain cake.
So here's a basic recipe to start your own that I found searching on the Internet at Cherished by me

460g flour
500ml milk
230g sugar
90ml warm water
2 tbsp dry yeast

1. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar over the warm water.
2. Sprinkle the yeast over this mixture and leave somewhere warm until it doubles in size.
3. Weigh out all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and slowly mix in the yeast and water mixture.
4. Cover loosely
5. Place in a warm place and stir everyday.

These are the instructions that I have been given, now you need to carry on feeding and loving your cake until you are ready to part with some-

Day 1,2 and 3- Just stir me.
Day 4- Add 100g flour, 200g sugar and 250ml milk and stir me.
Day 5,6,7 and 8- Just stir me.
Day 9- Add 100g flour, 200g sugar and 250ml milk and stir me. Then split me into 4, give 3 away and keep 1.
Day 10- Make me into a cake, add 200g sugar, 200g flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 peeled and chopped cooking apples, 140g dried fruit, 1 tsp cinnamon and 190ml Olive oil. Mix and pour into a tray bake. Bake at 170C or gas 4 for 45 min, cool and ice with glace icing. Cut into slices.
There are many varieties of cake that you can make, why not try carrot and coconut or banana.

Don't forget to pop back and let me know how yours turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment