Total time 35min
250g low fat natural yoghurt
25ml double cream
25g caster sugar
400g plain flour
2tsp cream of tartar
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g cold unsalted butter, diced
Beaten egg for top
1. Preheat oven to 220c, fan 200c, gas 7. Stir together yoghurt, cream and sugar in a jug and leave for a few minutes to let the sugar dissolve.
2. Sift the flour, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda and 1/2 tsp of salt into a large bowl, lightly rub in the butter.
3. Stir the yoghurt mixture into the flour, then quickly and gently work everything into a soft, sticky dough, using a round bladed knife to stir the mixture.
4. Tip the dough out onto a well floured surface, and lightly dust the top with flour. Pat the dough out to a thickness of approx. 2.5cm. Cut the scones out using a 6cm cutter. Place onto a nonstick greased baking tray.
5. Brush the tops lightly with beaten egg and bake for 12-14 mins or until just coloured on top.
6. Cover with a tea towel as they cool, to keep moist.